Friday, July 6, 2012

Ten Things I learned during Camp NaNoWriMo

This year, I signed up for Camp NaNoWriMo, and things did not go quite as expected. Promising to write 50 000 words plus in 30 days amidst the chaos of grade six graduation, two birthdays, father’s day, a wedding anniversary, a child with a concussion, various other ailments, appointments and traveling was a little bit insane. I didn’t complete the 50 000 words, but I did learn a lot about myself and my writing – so I thought I would share:

1. During a 15 minute writing sprint, I can write up to 900 usable words. If only I were always so productive.

2. Writing is more fun when you know someone, somewhere is writing with you. Thank you FB support groups!


 3. The Ninjas will attack. They will steal your words and hold them hostage for hours, days or even weeks. Having chocolate on hand will help keep them away.


 4. My muse is not only nocturnal; she also often deserts me in favour of playing with other muses and eating cake.

 5. Alcohol does not cure writer’s block, but it can help.

6. Coffee is an absolute necessity.


7. My friends will bring me chocolate if I whine enough on social networks. (And I LOVE them for it!)


8. Laundry does not do itself, and while husbands and children are very helpful, they aren’t adept at folding, sorting and putting away. (Then again, neither am I.)


9. Books do not write themselves. They take time, patience and the understanding that sometimes even the writer doesn’t get to control the direction characters choose to take.


10. Trying to write with four children and a dog underfoot all day is like trying to paint a fence in the rain. Everything gets messy and diluted.

I don’t know if I’ll attempt Camp NaNoWriMo again during the summer months, but I am glad I tried. I have 32 000 words of a fun novel of fluff and stuff that I should be able to finish over the course of the summer.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, it was a pleasure camping with you. You're right - it helps you stay on track when you have some writing buddies. Chocolate and coffee are absolute musts!

    ReplyDelete