The Concise Oxford Dictionary (the only one I actually own because I won it as part of a literary award when I was in grade 8) definition of freedom is as follows:
- Personal liberty, non-slavery; civil liberty, independence; liberty of action, right to do; power of self-determination, independence of fate or necessity.
- Frankness, outspokenness, undue familiarity; facility or ease in action; boldness of conception.
I live in Canada, so I have never had to contemplate what freedom might actually mean to me. On a small scale, it means sleeping in on holidays and Saturday mornings, it means sinking into a good book at my leisure and not keeping a clean and tidy house at all times.
On a mediocre scale it means I get to choose which language I educate my children in (we chose both French & English), what activities they indulge in (hockey, fencing, swimming, diving, biking, fishing) and whether or not I should stay in my current job (actually, I don’t have a job – I’m a full-time mom & writer).
On a larger scale it means I walk down the street in relative safety. I say what I want to who I want and the only real consequence is how my moral consciousness deals with whatever tumbles out. I have choices galore. I get to vote for members of parliament, the mayor, the local school commissioner, and express my opinions about all things political through which ever venue I choose (Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, local journals, national newspapers, or even a television station) without worrying about any type of negative back-lash.
In all, we have it pretty good here and I wouldn’t trade my home for anything. Our winters are harsh and our summers are scorching, but our social environment is a rare gem so it all makes it worthwhile in the end.
This post is in conjunction with the Blog-A-Licious Blog Tour a fantastic blog hop that brings together bloggers of all genres, backgrounds and locations. In today's hop, the blog featured before Remember Newvember is Holes in my Soles. The blog featured after mine is Life Through Lucylastica’s Lense. Please stop by and say hello plus some are having giveaways and contests. Enjoy!
Other blogs in this tour include:
1. Sonia Rumzi - http://soniarumzi.com/
3. Dora - http://peacefrompieces.blogspot.com/
4. Karen - http://britsunited.blogspot.com/
5. La Vonya - http://www.Battered-not-broken.blogspot.com
11. Ryder - http://ryderislington.wordpress.com/
13. Tosh - http://totsymae.com/
14. Dennis - http://www.bryanrdennis.com/
15. Karen - http://karenvwasylowski.blogspot.com/
16. Dora - http://blogaliciousblogs.blogspot.com/